Holiday Wreath Making

Holiday Wreath Making

Happy holidays! I'm finally back from the "Epic Trip" and excited to be home in the snow for the holidays — even if it only lasted a couple of hours. I wanted to try my hand at creating a festive wreath and accidentally got enough materials to make two! Here's how I did it:

What I made! Perfect for big wooden doors and snowy days.

What I made! Perfect for big wooden doors and snowy days.

Step 1: Collected my ingredients and found a place where I could get get pretty messy. I tried to select plants that I think will last for a long time without water — hoping that the cold outside where they're hung will help preserve them and keep them pretty for a while.

Step 1: Collected my ingredients and found a place where I could get get pretty messy. I tried to select plants that I think will last for a long time without water — hoping that the cold outside where they're hung will help preserve them and keep them pretty for a while.

Assembled: Pine boughs, two different kinds of berries, two different varieties of Eucalyptus, and some dried shrubbery poached from the winter garden that is at my house right now. Also, a sturdy wire frame to put them on, and (not pictured) green wire for camouflage, garden shears, and a pair of scissors.

Assembled: Pine boughs, two different kinds of berries, two different varieties of Eucalyptus, and some dried shrubbery poached from the winter garden that is at my house right now. Also, a sturdy wire frame to put them on, and (not pictured) green wire for camouflage, garden shears, and a pair of scissors.

Step 2: Wired things willy-nilly to the frame! I actually tried it two ways. For the go around, I just grabbed what I wanted to as I went, with pretty much no planning. For the second one (pictured top left), I took what I had left and laid it out on the frame to get an idea of what I needed to do. 

Step 2: Wired things willy-nilly to the frame! I actually tried it two ways. For the go around, I just grabbed what I wanted to as I went, with pretty much no planning. For the second one (pictured top left), I took what I had left and laid it out on the frame to get an idea of what I needed to do. 

Step 3: I tried to balance out the wreaths by clustering the different types of plants along the frame, typically in odd numbers (though it depends on how big or visually dominant each piece was). I wanted it to be consistent and balanced, but not too orderly or boring. I mixed shapes and textures, and used color rarely but strategically.

Step 3: I tried to balance out the wreaths by clustering the different types of plants along the frame, typically in odd numbers (though it depends on how big or visually dominant each piece was). I wanted it to be consistent and balanced, but not too orderly or boring. I mixed shapes and textures, and used color rarely but strategically.

Step 4: After I put nearly every plant allotted for each wreath onto it's respective wireframe, I used the remainder of what I had left, which was filler material as I had used up all of the starring pieces, and filled in from the back the places that looked a little sparse. I also found any pieces of wire or branches sticking out and trimmed them off, so I could hang the wreath without scratching up the door!

Step 4: After I put nearly every plant allotted for each wreath onto it's respective wireframe, I used the remainder of what I had left, which was filler material as I had used up all of the starring pieces, and filled in from the back the places that looked a little sparse. I also found any pieces of wire or branches sticking out and trimmed them off, so I could hang the wreath without scratching up the door!

Yaaaaaay finished wreath.

Yaaaaaay finished wreath.

And that's it! One final note: I did put my entire music library on shuffle during this period, and absolutely the most fitting song for wreath making on a snowy day was Skinny Love by Bon Iver. Much preferable to any of the Ludacris songs that make up such a small percentage of my library but mysteriously kept coming into rotation for the couple of hours this took me to do.